What is Magnesium Nitride
What is Magnesium-Nitride?
Magnesium Nitride is an inorganic molecule with the chemical formula Mg3N2. It's part a cubic crystal system. At the temperature of room, pure magnesium nitride is a yellow-green powder, but magnesium nitride containing the magnesium oxide impurities appears grayish white.
The magnesium nitride's molar mass is 100.95g/mol. Their density stands at 2.712g/cm3. Magnesium Nitride is totally dissolved in water and acid, but is partially dissolvable when mixed with alcohol and ethanol.
The melting temperature of magnesium nitride is 1500 degrees. Magnesium nitride, like many metal nitrides, reacts water to create ammonia. A catalyst is often employed. React with acidic or aqueous nonmetallic oxides to create ammonium salts as well as magnesium salts.
Magnesium Nitride is a form of ceramic in nature. Magnesium Nitride has a high corrosion resistance and greatly enhances productivity. Magnesium also has high thermal conductivity as well having a high resistance to corrosion and temperature resistance. Magnesium Nitride is also of significant significance due to its use as a catalyst used in the synthesizing of boron.
What Is Magnesium-Nitride Used For?
1. It is used as a catalyst to prepare the nitride of other elements with high hardness as well as high thermal conductivity, corrosion resistance, wear resistance and resistant to high temperatures. The first successful production of cubic boron-nitride, The catalyst used was magnesium Nitride.
2. Utilized for high-strength steel smelting additives. Magnesium nitride (Mg3N2) replaces desulphurized magnesium during construction steel Smelting, which can help to improve the density, strength of the steel, as well as the tension and bearing force of steel. In addition, the process of magnesium nitride (Mg3N2) desulfurization, can reduce the use of other additives, helping to lower the cost of production for construction steel.
3. This is used to make special ceramic materials;
4. In the process of making a special alloy foaming agent
5. For the production of special glass
6. Crosslinking of catalytic polymers;
7. To reuse radioactive waste
How to Produce Magnesium Nitride?
The current preparation methods of magnesium nitride include direct reaction method of magnesium powder with nitrogen, reaction method of carbon with nitrogen in nitrogen plasma flow methods for magnesium coils in nitrogen atmosphere low pressure chemical gas supplementing method for product, self-propagating high temperature process for synthesis, nano magnesium nitride synthesizer, etc.
Recently, G. Soto et al. constructed amorphous magnesium nutride films with different Mg:N ratios Si substrates in a molecular nitrous environment using an application of pulsed lasers. These techniques restrict their industrial application due to the cost of production, lengthy process with complex equipment, or the poor yield of magnesium nutride.
Although the direct reaction of magnesium powder with nitrogen has industrial benefits, the process of magnesium oxide powder requires greater reaction temperatures and a longer processing time. The shape of the powder is insufficient and easy to aggregate, which can not meet the needs of industrial grade. In the case of NH3, it can be broken down into Nand N2 - with broken bonds much more quickly than N2 and H2 decomposed may slow the growth of MgO. Thus, ammonia gases could be used as the nitrogen source. Chen Faqin et al. used ammonia liquid as a nitrogen source to make magnesium nitride using direct Nitriding of magnesium powder. The following conclusions can be drawn from thermodynamic analysis, liquid ammonia is able to react with magnesium powder much more quickly than nitrogen to prepare magnesium nitride. The best quality magnesium nitride powder that has excellent purity and uniform particles can be made by heating them to 600 and an ammonia atmosphere for 1h, after which it is heated to 800, ammonia flow rate of about 500ml/min and the nitriding period of 1 hour.
Magnesium Nitride Mg3N2 powder Supplier
We are a respected chemical material supplier and manufacturer with over 12-year-experience in providing top-quality chemicals and nanomaterials. These include silicon powder graphite , zinc sulfide, calcium nitride 3D printing powder etc.
If you're looking for high-quality Mg3N2 powder If you are interested, feel free to contact us and send an inquiry. (firstname.lastname@example.org)